All our new arrivals are quarantined for a minimum of 2 weeks and often for as long as 6 weeks in tanks/ponds exceeding 3400 Lt.
Our quarantine procedure includes, but is not limited to;
- The newly landed fish are brought to our quarantine facility from their source/airport immediately and are acclimatised for as long as is deemed necessary.
- New arrivals are split between quarantine ponds, this ensures that the ponds are not over-stocked. This also ensures that new arrivals have enough space and are not overcrowded, as overcrowding leads to stress.
- Running a powerful aerator, a well matured filter system and UV sterilisers 24-hours a day, 7 days a week for all quarantine ponds.
- Ponds are covered with weighted nets to ensure that skittish fish do not attempt escape, and in doing so, potentially damaging themselves.
- Quarantine ponds are individually separated and filtered independantly to ensure that any chance of potential cross-contamination is highly unlikely.
- All equipment such as nets and bowls are sterilised daily to ensure that no harmful pathogens come into contact with the new arrivals, as well as preventing potential cross-contamination.
- Quarantine pond temperature is constantly monitored to ensure that water temperature is kept constant.
- If Koi were to be kept alone, they become stressed more easily. So Koi are quarantined in groups as they are schooling and sociable animals.
- Minimal feeding of high quality food 3 - 5 days after arrival, depending on their appetites. All uneaten food is removed immediately.
- Fish that arrive sick (a rare occurance) are immediately treated in a medicine bath, before being quarantined the longest to ensure that they recover fully - often for as long as 2 months (approximately 8 weeks). Salt baths are often used as a first resort.
- Accumulating debris and faeces are constantly removed to ensure pristine water quality at all times.
Our preffered variety quarantine container. If you are looking to install a quarantine pond of your own, you can contact us today to enquire about the correct quarantine container for your specific needs.
We regularly get new stock so be sure to visit to see what we have on show. For more updates on new stock and arrivals, go 'LIKE' our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/koialami